Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Here's my story - robbery

Hi! My day didn't kick off so good today but I decided to just brush it off my shoulders, you know?

As some of you might already heard of, me and my best friend A weren't so lucky last week. I've already told the story about A's case here. Here's mine.

On 24th July, last Tuesday, I had an iftar session with a group of friends. I live the furthest amongst them, so as per usual I drove alone. On our way back, at 10.40 PM I stopped at the red traffic light at simpang empat Jalan Ampang/Jalan Jelatek. My friend's car was in front of me. A motorcycle (two passengers) stopped at my vehicle's co driver's window and knocked it three times with his right elbow before it shattered at the 4th hit. Many cars started honking but no one came to rescue (who would?). My purse was placed underneath my telekung, but maybe it was visible enough? They took away my purse and its content except for my iPhone. I have a bad habit of always checking my phone while driving, but that habit saved me from losing my phone. It was under my bum.

As soon as they got away, the traffic light turned green. I hit D and started flashing light non-stop to alert everyone. The motorcycle got away. I, on the other hand, went almost crazy.

We stopped at the nearest Petronas station and started calling many people. My friends called the police, and friends, and the bank. I was on my knees. But I know just crying won't help, I had to take control.

I know my Maybank pin code was bad ass hard to figure, so my priority shifted to my Canadian bank account and credit card. I've been meaning to change my pin code since forever but . . . I'm sometimes stupid. The 1800 line didn't work and I panicked like crazy. D doesn't have a phone, so I called her boyfriend in Canada to block ALL access to my checking, saving and credit card accounts. At the same time I was trying to retrieve any number that I could use to get in touch with the right extension. Long story cut short, with the help of my friends, I managed to block everything, including my Maybank account. I was so relieved to know that no recent transaction took place. I'm sorry to all the bank agents who had to deal with me that night. I shouted a lot. And sorry I called three times to block the same thing. Was just making sure.

We lodged a report at the Setiawangsa Police station before they transferred us to Sentul Police station for further investigation. [Fun fact: four different police station visits in three days]. My friends drove me off back home that night at 2 AM. I informed the guard about the robbery and to guard all gates. The robbers have my keys and address, you see.

The day after, my dad changed all four windows of the car to tinted ones. Changed the autogate setting. Bought a padlock and four pepper sprays :D

Incase you're wondering, yes I'm okay. Obviously, the trauma is there but it's not the end of the world. I'm back on the roads yesterday.


Summer started out great but now it's getting bumpy. Big bumps. But I haven't lost faith and hope. It's Ramadhan and things like this happen to test our patience. You get double the award, that's what I like to tell myself. I lost a lot of things in a month. Things that are very valuable and important to me. But it teaches me many life lessons. One of them is that you will know who's really there for you when you're at the bottom. Who would give a hand and who would look away. Last but not least, you will know next time, you just need to hit gear D and ram that m_______r.

No comments: