Sunday, September 16, 2012

Dunya

I was reading this one article yesterday that was sent to me by a fellow friend. Below is my favourite quote from the author. It goes,
"Like a glass vase that you place on the edge of a table, once broken, the pieces never quite fit again. But the problem wasn’t with the vase. Or even that the vases kept breaking. The problem was that I kept putting them on the edge of tables . . . But the [things that] broke me were not to blame any more than gravity can be blamed for breaking the vase. We can’t blame the laws of physics when a twig snaps because we leaned on it for support. The twig was never created to carry us."
- Yasmin Mogahed 

It's not super straight forward, but at the same time it's not rocket science either. So I'm sure you can relate it to yourself. Anyway, the context that Mogahed was referring to was her younger self who was repeatedly being disappointed by all the things around her, and later discovered that the sole reason was that she was too attached to dunya (the temporal world).

Interesting, don't you think?

No comments: