Sunday, March 25, 2012

Make your choice

"Happiness is a choice"

It is quite natural for me, and ironic at the same time, to blog during my most occupied times, like today. To justify this absurdity, my rational thought would be: to get the important things done, I have to get the trivial things done first, so that when I start doing something important, like school work, I would be in a state where I am concern-free. Do I make sense?

I have this thing where I sometimes think too much in the bathroom. Not that I am trying to be anything close to a philosopher but my think hat seems to work at its best only during long showers and . . . when answering nature's call. Yesterday, I was thinking about the ever present topic of happiness.

What defines happiness and how does one get to it? Apart from being a state of emotion, does it manifest itself through materialism, through devotion to God, through generosity to others, or, through a cup of coffee on a Sunday morning?

It's a matter of perspective, really. Getting a fine hand-embroidered Hermès purse puts you on cloud nine. A trip to Milan, an engagement announcement, winning a lottery, bestfriend's wedding, a new member of the family. Everybody knows how life has its twists and turns no matter how perfect or miserable you are. Whether you succumb to hardship is however a different story. Your trip to Milan? cancelled, your beloved fiancé? disappeared. Your lottery winning? a fraud. Your bestfriend? died on his wedding day. Your new born baby brother? diseased. How now, brown cow?

I am still waiting for the day when the epiphany comes. But for now, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonades. Happiness is a choice."

3 comments:

K* said...

The long awaited another side of you has finally made an appearance! Where has she been hiding. I want more entries from her please please. Mandi more. Berak more. If that what it takes to summon her out

The Other Derpina said...

http://theotherderpina.blogspot.com/2012/03/oh-so-random-1.html

hye. I was in similar situation like yours. :)

The morning dew said...

K*: are you indirectly telling the world that I mandi and berak less? sssh its our secret.

Derpina: Haha you're not alone.